Sunday Funday! My favorite thing to do in the fall is spend the day in the kitchen baking, cooking and getting my family ready for the week (I know it’s crazy, but I love it) Football is on in the background, my daughter runs around giggling and laughing because daddy is home, what is better than that? Oh yes Sunday Supper! Well this week our hostess is Cindy from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings. What’s that you say? She sounds familiar? Well she is, she did a guest post for this past summer. Well Cindy was kind enough to host all of us for this weeks Sunday Supper! Guess what the theme is?? Apples Apples and more Apples my friends!! What better than a good apple dish during this time of the year! Well you’ve come to the right place because you are going to want to run to you kitchen and make one of these when you done checking out this list. What did I make? Well I decided on a side dish because it gives me a good chance to try something new on my family. Can I just tell you that these were my husbands words the second he dove in “OMG I could eat this whole dish.” Then between the two of us we almost did!! OK well he got to take leftovers to work at least! I actually got this recipe from the Weight Watchers website, I did a search for a sweet potato dish with apples and here is what I got! I cut exactly in half because I didn’t need to serve 10 people I made enough for 4 so this is what I did.
Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash
4 large sweet potatos
1 tbsp of salted butter
2 Medium Apples (3 if you want to munch while you slice!) it called for Golden Delicious but I used two different kinds. Peeled, cored and sliced very thin.
1/4 Cup of unsweetened OJ (I didn’t know it said unsweetened and I’m not even sure if what I used was, but I don’t care because it was good!)
Salt & Pepper
Nutmeg & Cinnamon
What to do:
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until very soft, about 1 hour. Remove potatoes from oven and reduce oven temperature to 350ºF. Let potatoes stand until cool enough to handle.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples and cook, gently turning occasionally, until golden and tender, about 7 minutes; remove from heat and set aside.
Cut cooled potatoes in half and scrape out pulp into a large bowl; discard skins. Add juice, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper; mash with a potato masher.
Lightly coat a 1 1/2- to 2-quart rectangular or round baking dish with cooking spray. Funny side story, I almost forgot the spray! I had to take the potatoes out, rinse the dish, and spray it. Crisis averted! Scrape potato mixture into baking dish; arrange sautéed apples over top in pretty pattern.
Bake until bubbly around edges, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon (I used pepper at this point because I knew it would be sweet between the sweet potatoes and apples, I wanted to offset some of the sweetness. I did.
I think it’s a great dish, different from the normal mash potato or rice dish, plus as far as I know sweet potatoes are healthier so I’ll take it! What is that you ask? What’s is the recipe for that awesome steak you see there? Oh that’s Here!
You can assemble this dish up to 4 hours in advance (up to the point of baking it). Keep it refrigerated but let it come to room temperature before cooking it. This is what I did. I was babysitting for a friend of mine that afternoon so first thing in the morning I made my sweet potatoes, and left it right on the counter until I was ready to mash. I made the mash later on in the afternoon during nap time and put it in the fridge along with the sliced apples (I put them in water so they wouldn’t brown). When I went to make dinner, I took the dish out, sauteed the apples in butter placed them on top and and stuck it in the oven and made the rest of my dinner :) You could probably make this with Yams as well. OK one more for the road.
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad- In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple Pie Bread Baker Street
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin- The Meltaways
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples- Mama Mommy Mom
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Autumn Harvest Homemade Applesauce-Brie’s Bites
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel - Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- #GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked