Now don’t laugh at me but when I found this recipe I had to actually look up what “baking mix” was!! It’s the second to last ingredient and I have flour and all that stuff but I wasn’t quite sure what baking mix was, so if anyone else doesn’t know, it’s bisquick!! I planned on making this some time this week but hello it’s been 70 all week! So the next brisk fall day I’ll be trying it out so stay tuned for pics!
UPDATE: Ok so how I changed the recipe was just by adding more veggies and broth because I always have too much “guts” to a soup and not enough broth for leftovers, or if I’m freezing it. So see my changes below in bold. I definetly made it less creamy by adding the broth but that’s what I wanted to do and I love chicken soup with LOTS of veggies so I also added a quarter of a bag of frozen string beans (thawed) and a quarter of a bag of frozen peas (thawed). I also remember the way my mom used to make it back when I was a kid and she always shredded teh chicken (I hate chicken chunks in my soup LOL) so I added how I shredded the chicken below! Enjoy it was amazing and now I have some frozen for if (when) this momma gets sick again this winter!!
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used 1 lb. of boneless chicken tenders, I didn’t cut them into peices.)
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used 1 Sweet Potato)
- 2 cups whole baby carrots (I used 1/2 a pkgs of baby carrots since I knew I was putting more veggies in.)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (I used 3.)
- Qtr. bag of frozen string beans (thawed)
- Qtr. bag of frozen peas (thawed)
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup (I used 98% Fat Free)
- 1 cup water (I used 2 Cups of water and 2 Cups of broth)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix (I actually used 2 refridgerated buscuits I had leftover from another recipe I was making and rolled each one into 4 small balls for the dumplings.)
- 2/3 cup milk
Place the chicken, potatoes, carrots and celery into a 6-quart slow cooker.(Place all broth, water, potatoes, carrots and celery, thyme, and pepper in the crock, stir, and then place the chicken tenders on top.)
Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours (or high for 4-5 hours) or until the chicken is cooked through. (I then pulled the tenders out (an hour before being ready, and shredded them by hand.)
I also added the string beans and peas at this time.
30 minutes before it’s done, Stir the baking mix and milk in a medium bowl. Spoon the batter over the chicken mixture. (This is when I dropped my balls of dumplings in) Turn the heat to HIGH. Tilt the lid to vent and cook for 30 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked in the center.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 330 | Total Fat: 11.7g | Cholesterol: 52mg