I got this one from my cooking light magazine as well, and I have yet to even master cupcakes never mind a pie but I’d like to try one some day, and this one looked yummy and fallish!!
This juicy double-crusted beauty combines two favorite fall season flavors. Grade B maple syrup is less refined and has stronger maple taste, though grade A will work just fine in this recipe.
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 pounds Gala apples (about 6), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup grade B maple syrup
- Cooking spray
- 1. Weigh or lightly spoon 9 ounces (2 cups) flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 9 ounces flour, 2 teaspoons sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk; cut in butter and shortening with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually add ice water; toss with a fork until flour mixture is moist. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions. Gently press each portion into a 5-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover and chill 1 hour.
- 2. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, cranberries, and next 4 ingredients (through apples) in a large bowl, tossing gently to coat. Add syrup, tossing to coat.
- 3. Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a damp surface. Unwrap and place 1 portion of chilled dough on plastic wrap. Cover dough with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle. Chill dough in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap; fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Spoon apple mixture into prepared crust.
- 4. Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp surface. Unwrap and place remaining portion of chilled dough on plastic wrap. Cover dough with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into an 11-inch circle. Chill dough in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap; fit dough, plastic wrap side up, over apple mixture. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Press edges of dough together. Fold edges under, and flute. Cut several slits in top of dough to allow steam to escape. Chill pie in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- 5. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 6. Place pie plate on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place baking sheet on bottom oven rack; bake at 425° for 25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375° (do not remove pie from oven); bake an additional 45 minutes or until browned. Cool on a wire rack.