I got this idea from an email I get everyday from WebMD however once I read the recipe it was super long and didn’t seem so easy, those loose my interest so I looked up other recipes for a Vegan Sheppard’s Pie, knowing the Calories would be lower. They are way lower! Sounds yummy!!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 small red or green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 cups cubed eggplant, with peel
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/4 pounds small red potatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fat-free half and half (or milk)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 Tb. oil; add onions, garlic, curry and cumin. Saute until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Remove to a bowl.
Heat remaining oil in skillet; add peppers, eggplant, tomatoes and 1/2 cup water. Saute until soft, about 20 minutes. Stir in onions. Place in a shallow 8-by-8- inch baking dish.
In a saucepan, boil potatoes until done. Drain and smash. Stir in half and half, peas, salt and pepper. Spread over vegetables and top with Parmesan.
Bake 15 minutes. Brown in broiler. Serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 229 | Total Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 8mg