I orginally got this recipe from skinnytaste.com, Miss Gina likes to “Healthify” her meals as much as I do. So for the original recipe you can check out her site, I only changed a few things, come the day I decided to make this soup my daughter and I were both sick and I didn’t have the time (nor ability) to make 36 small meatballs so instead I just grounded the meat and went from their LOL!! Let me tell you it was one of the tastiest soups I’ve ever had!!! The fresh basil and added parmesan cheese on top at the end really just finished it!!! YUM!! I highly recommend trying this one!
- 7 cups low sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 chopped cloves garlic, divided
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1/2 onion, chopped, divided
- 1 Can of Garlic, Onion & Pepper diced tomatoes (Undrained)
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- kosher salt and fresh pepper
- 6 oz dry cut up spaghetti, I use Smart Taste
- 16 oz 99% lean ground turkey
- 11/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
In a soup pot over medium heat, stir in your onions, garlic and meat and cook the meat through. Then flavor with the red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. (this is where I enjoyed using my judgement and taste testing to what my husband and I like. I put the spices in here because it really flavors the meat.
Next add your broth, water, diced tomatoes, parsley and bring to a boil, once it’s at a boil (Yes I used a cover) put in your spaghetti. (I did cut it up into small pieces because it’s what my grandmother used to do in her chicken noodle soup!) Cook spaghetti through then add your fresh basil and cook for a few more minutes.
Ladel, add parmesan cheese and serve!!
Calories: 212.9 • Fat: 3.2 g • Carb: 27.4 g • Fiber: 3.9 g • Protein: 22.1 g • Sugar: 2 g