I’ve always wanted to try a chicken marsala but have never tried it so I’m going to give it a shot, but of course I went to the store today and forgot the mushrooms! So we’ll be making a trip back tomorrow!!
3 Tbsp whole-wheat flour
3 Tbsp white flour
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 – 1 1/2 lb chicken cutlets
3 c sliced mushrooms
2 Tbsp thinly sliced shallots
1/2 c Marsala wine
1/2 c low-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaf
1. In a shallow bowl, combine flours and pepper. Dredge chicken in mixture and set aside.
2. Lightly coat a large, nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add chicken and sauté until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove cutlets to a plate and keep warm.
3. Add mushrooms and shallots to pan; stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add wine to pan. Reduce to a glaze, scraping any loose brown bits from bottom of pan.
5. Reduce heat and add broth, parsley, and thyme. Stir; cook until broth reduces by half.
6. Return chicken to pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 224 cal, 2 g fat (1 g sat), 400 g sodium, 20 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein
Make it a meal :
Mash 1/2 cup boiled red bliss potatoes (leave the skins on for maximum nutrition) with 1 Tbsp fat-free cream cheese, 1 Tbsp skim milk, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve alongside 1/2 cup peeled, sliced carrots that have been boiled, drained, and glazed with 1 tsp honey. This pair of belly-filling sides adds a mere 116 calories, for a dinnertime total of 340.