Another recipe by Skinnytaste. Gina, she rocks. I haven’t actually tasted them yet but they are cooking as I type! YUM!!!! I can’t wait to sample them! The only thing I did different was I added Classico Sausage Spaghetti Sauce to them because the flavor is amazing! My hunny and I will be eating them over some whole wheat linguini later and I’m hoping my daughter will eat a few meatballs, I made a few small ones for her since I’m still trying to get her to eat meat! The kid is picky!
- 20 oz (1.3 lb) ground turkey breast 93% lean
- 1/4 cup whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Reggiano Parmigiano cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp kosher salt + fresh pepper
For the sauce:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes (I like Tuttorosso)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil or parsley
In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, garlic and cheese. Using clean hands, mix all the ingredients and form small meatballs, about 1/8th cup each.
In a small saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden, being careful not to burn.
Pour crushed tomatoes into the crock pot with bay leaf. Add garlic and oil.
Drop meatballs into the sauce, cover and set crock pot to low, 4 to 6 hours. When meatballs are ready, adjust salt and pepper to taste and add fresh chopped basil or parsley.
Serve with ricotta, over pasta or enjoy with French bread.
Servings: 6 • Size: 4 meatballs with sauce • Calories: 200.4 • Fat: 8.1 g • Carbs: 12.6 • Fiber: 0.6 • Protein: 17.3 g • Sugar: 4.4
Sodium: 427.5 mg