This sounds yummy!! A nice Irish meal!!
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 small parsnips
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 2 medium carrots, halved and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Peel potatoes and parsnips and cut into large pieces; place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the cabbage, carrots, thyme and Worcestershire sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, tomato paste and broth until smooth. Gradually stir into meat mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the peas, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Drain potatoes and parsnips; mash with milk, butter, remaining salt and pepper. Serve with meat mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts 1 cup meat mixture with 3/4 cup potato mixture equals 369 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 849 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.