So this recipe is from www.thechew.com. I watched it being made last night! Everyone enjoys a big juicy sausage sub! I know a way to keep it light and on the healthier side! Thin N Trim sells a Chicken Sausage that is low in calories and fat, buy a good flavor and a light or whole wheat roll then you don’t have to feel so bad having some REAL provolone cheese! Serve it with a side of Smoky Baked Beans..……….YUM!
- 4 Sweet and/or Hot Italian Sausages (can also use Turkey/Chicken sausage if desired)
- 2 Red Bell Peppers (cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 2 Yellow Bell Peppers (cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 2 Red Onions (cut into 1/4-inch dice)
- 1 Clove Garlic (finely minced)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablepsoon Butter
- 4 Hero Rolls
- 8 thin slices Provolone Cheese
Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook over high heat for 4 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic, cook for 30 seconds. Simmer 5 minutes until cooked through. Remove from heat and season to taste.
Preheat a grill or grillpan to medium-high heat, and cook the sausages, turning as they brown on each side, until they are cooked through, about 12 minutes. While sausage is still hot, top with two overlapped slices of provolone.
Sandwich into toasted bun and top with the peppers and onions to serve.