I got this recipe off of the Food Network channel. I decided to throw my hubby a surprise Father’s Day Brunch by inviting our family to join us. Here is how it went!
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- Cooking spray
- 8 slices of whole wheat bread, cubed (about 5 cups)
- 8 eggs and 8 egg whites
- 2 cups lowfat milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 10 ounces broccoli, steamed, cooled and chopped (or frozen, thawed)
- 1-ounce (1/3 cup) grated Parmesan
- 4-ounce (1 cup) part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook for another 1 minute.
Transfer the onion mixture to a medium bowl and allow to cool. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in the skillet and saute the mushrooms until they release all of their water, about 6 to 7 minutes.
Remove from heat and cool completely. Spray an oval baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange the bread cubes in the dish.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, milk and mustard until incorporated.
Add mushrooms, onion-garlic mixture, broccoli, Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, thyme, and salt and pepper and stir to incorporate. Pour mixture over bread, making sure liquid saturates bread.
Cover with plastic wrap or tinfoil and refrigerate overnight, or at least 8 hours. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the plastic wrap/tinfoil from strata and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until top forms a light brown crust.
Scoop and Serve! Oh and of course enjoy!