It’s that crazy hectic time yet again! Though It isn’t for me (yet) I sure remember them as a kid. Home from school, homework, quick dinner, softball practice, or for me, dance, dinner then homework. Mom brings you there, Dad brings your brother/sister there, crazy busy nights with it getting lighter out earlier, let’s admit it, it’s a tiring time!! Not everyone has a SAHM like I did to provide great meals every night, even with a SAHM, it still got hectic!!
This weeks theme for #SundaySupper is Back to School Meals. Our Hostess for this weeks Sunday’s dinner is a great friend of mine, Nicole from The Daily Dish Recipes. She is one busy Momma so this theme is so perfect for her, thank you for hosting Nicole!!
I chose to make a casserole because I think they are easy to whip up a day ahead or even that night. This dish took me no longer than 40 min to make, while I was 10 minutes into making it my husband asked when dinner was going to be ready, I said 5:30. We sat down at 5:33. He said wow right on time! Ha!
Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole
Adapted By: Kalyn’s Kitchen
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 45 min.
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and finely chopped
1 tsp. Italian seasoning (a blend of dried oregano, marjoram, thyme, and rosemary)
3 to 4 links turkey Italian sausage
1 pd of ground turkey
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (One Bag)
3/4 cup low-fat cheese (I used a low fat six cheese blend)
2-3 Celery Ribs (leafs included)
1/2 Cup of chopped Carrot sticks
1 Can (14 oz) of diced tomatoes (seasoned)
1 Can (8 oz) of mushrooms (or use fresh)
Salt & Pepper
Half a bag of crushed croutons (italian flavored)
Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a large heavy stock pan. Add the chopped onion and green bell pepper and saute until the vegetables are cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. Add the Italian seasoning and saute 1-2 minutes more.
Add 2 tsp. more oil to the pot(or less if you’re using a non-stick pan.) Squeeze the turkey Italian sausage out of the casing and saute until it’s fully cooked and nicely browned, breaking apart with a turner as it cooks. This will take about 5-6 minutes, but don’t rush the browning. Meanwhile cook the brown rice according to package directions.
Add the brown rice, diced tomatoes and mushrooms into the pan and mix with the sausage and remaining veggies together. Cook this mixture with the lid on for about 10 min.
Put the mixture into a casserole dish that you’ve sprayed with olive oil or non-stick spray. (I used a dish that was 7″ x 9″ but a slightly larger size will work.)
Crush the croutons with a can by rolling it over and over again in the bag. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
Put the casserole into the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and lightly browned and the whole thing is piping hot, about 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.
This kept well in the fridge and reheated well in the microwave. I kept it right inside my casserole dish!! It has awesome taste and I’ve had it for leftovers on two different occasions now!
How yummy does that look?? So simple! If you don’t want to serve it again that same week, simple solution? Make enchilada’s or Taco’s with the filling!
- Greek Dogs by Supper For a Steal
- Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad by Magnolia Days
- Double Duty Fajita Chicken: Nachos Supreme and Enchiladas by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Crepes by Vintage Kitchen
- Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas by Pescetarian Journal
- Korean omelet rice by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Dillled Salmon Croquette Burgers by Granny’s Southern Cooking
- Gluten Free Pepper Steak with Rice by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Crispy Ravioli in Cherry Tomato Sauce by Shockingly Delicious
- BLT Soup by Meal Planning Magic
- Korean Pan-Fried Fish by Kimchi Mom
- Stove top mac ‘n cheese by Gotta Get Baked
- Deconstructed Enchiladas by In the Kitchen with KP
- Croque Monsieurs by Juanita’s Cocina
- Summer Squash and Mushroom Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Seared Lamb on a bed of Mashed potatoes with Artichoke Hearts by Cooking Underwriter
- Pasta with Creamy Kale Pesto by Webicurean
- Baked Spanish Tortilla by Happy Baking Days
- Grilled Chicken Caesar Pizza by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Chicken Pasta with Spinach and Beans by The Lemon Bowl
- Tomato Pie by My Catholic Kitchen
- Shredded Chicken in Peanut Sauce Tacos w/ Corn & Zucchini Sauté by GirliChef
- Tomatillo Chicken Stew by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Pollo a la Crema by La Cocina de Leslie
- Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos by Home Cooking Memories
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken with a Yogurt Dill sauce and a Greek Salad by Noshing with the Nolands
- Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Lemon & Dill Shrimp Pasta w/ Oven Roast Corn by Mama, Mommy, Mom
- Ricotta – Tofu Tomato Toasts by Yummy Smells
- One Pot Spicy Asian Chicken and Rice by Hezzi D
- Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Flatbread Pizza with Cilantro Garlic Sauce by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Kung Pao Shrimp by Mangoes and Chutney
- Cashew Chicken Stir-fry by Diabetic Foodie
- Chicken Bacon Avocado Quesadillas by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Roasted Butternut Lo Mein by The Meltaways
- Potluck Casserole with Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
- Jerk Chicken Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Loaded Chicken and Steak Stuffed Potatoes by Big Bears Wife
- Steamed Tofu Serve with Fried Mix Vegetables by My Trial’s in the Kitchen
- Pasta with sausage and cherry tomatoes by Tora’s Real Food
- Chicken Ravioli with Peas and Bacon by Daddy Knows Less
- Chorizo Tomato Pasta with a Creamy Sauce by Avocado Pesto
- Quick N Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp Stir Fry by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus & Fresh Greens by Family Spice
- Speedy ‘n Spicy Shrimp Pasta. Will be dinner this Friday by The Weekend Gourmet
- End of Summer Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad by Sustainable Dad
- Teriyaki Tuna Bowl by Family Foodie
- Weeknight Stir Fry by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Baked Egg with Mushrooms and Bacon by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Taco Bake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Fried Rice and Black Beans by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Chicken with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bow Ties by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pasta in Tomato sauce and turkey meatballs by Basic & Delicious
- Pasta Primavera by Midlife Road Trip
- Tots Your Tots Will Love by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
Please be sure you join us on Twitter throughout the day on Sunday. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 p.m. EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about Back to School Meals and ways to make meal time easier!
All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us throughTweetChat! We’ll be sharing great recipes and tips all afternoon, and we’ll be talking all things Back to School Meals during our chat!
We’d also love to feature your Back to School Recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!